Thursday 18 April 2013

The Not-So Mature Student


I need to tell you a secret. I should really be revising right now.





I have exams quickly approaching, and have been cramming the past few days to try and prepare for them. Eventually though, Sense and Sensibility just got too much. I got up from my desk chair wandered through to my room and flumped on my bed. Just lay there, enjoying the quiet and the cool duvet. But then I realised that it wasn't actually made.


One thing that would be useful to know here, is that I love to have a perfectly made bed before I go to sleep, but rarely do it when I get up.


So it got me thinking - growing up absolutely stinks.


Gone are the days when your mum would come through to your room and wake you up, get your clothes ready and make your bed once you went downstairs.


Gone are the days when you'd come home to cupboards full of food and you'd be shouted through to the kitchen to find dinner ready made on the table. 


Now I have to do all this on my own, and I don't like it.







Like a lot of students, I've left home and live with my friends. Naturally, when you first move in to your flat, you imagine all of the things you're going to do with it: "It'll never be as messy as halls", "I'll have a routine clean every week", "I'll never forget to take something out of the freezer for dinner".




If you are currently thinking this, let me just take this moment to tell you that IT NEVER GOES TO PLAN!


Not out of lack of trying, it just takes so much effort to keep everything spotless. You're curled up on the couch watching a movie, and suddenly the washing machine stops. You should go through and hang it all up, you know you should. But you're so comfy. And no one's nagging you to do it. It can wait until later, right?


This is the pitfall of being independent. You actually have to be independent.


I personally hate washing the dishes the most. There's something about that one chore in particular that just fills my heart with dread and I begin to lose all hope with humanity. And I get in trouble a lot for leaving my make-up on Kieran's bed side table, purely because it's right next to the mirror.





With all this, when you factor in all the assignments you have to do for university, or the shifts you do at work to pay your rent, along with all the times you want to go out with your friends, it can feel like you don't have any time to just be by yourself.


But I want you to know that there's hope. I have devised a plan to get through the next few months. I study in the morning and then I clean/tidy to procrastinate and then stop working before dinner time. Then it's my time and I do whatever I like. It's my genius plan and has been fail-safe so far!


Eilidh - 1 : Domestic tasks - 0






1 comment:

  1. Yes, growing up means you get to do ALL the chores! If you don't stick to your clean/tidy routine, you can always hire a maid!

    ReplyDelete