Monday 10 December 2012

Only in Texas.

Whilst trawling Youtube today, instead of doing the millions of other things I should probably do, I came across a video that made me so mad that I finally got around to making a blog. Here's the link, so maybe you can get an idea of why it got to me so much.

Westboro Baptist Church on The Tyra Banks Show


In short, Shirley Phelps, a member of Westboro Baptist Church, Kansas, Texas, believes that all people who are gay, or support the rights of gay people are sinners and will burn in Hell. She goes further, saying that 9/11 was an act of God, punishing America for their 'gay ways'.



Now, I could go on to say really horrible things about this woman (stuck in the past, bigot, etc.) but I think my time would be better spent on other things - like saying that there is nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing at all. Sometimes the Bible's messages are used to justify hatred like this and while I'm not a Christian myself, I know that one of the central messages of it all is love. Love your neighbour, love the people that wrong you, forgive, and don't judge others - let God do the judging.

Which part of all of those messages says that it's alright to judge gay people who obviously love each other enough to stand up against so much controversy to be together? 


It's my opinion that love as vast and as strong as that should only be admired.


Jeremy Kyle concurs:


Westboro Baptist Church on The Jeremy Kyle Show



Leave a comment below letting me know what your thoughts are? Do you believe that being gay is wrong?


No comments:

Post a Comment