Sunday 24 March 2013

The Land of the Free and Stuff


In a glorious email on my phone screen, I found out yesterday that I have been accepted into Williamette University in Salem, Oregon for a semester next year. Or, once I work out the credit system for the classes at least.


And you know, everything else like accomodation, costs and sorting out how my lovely roommates will ever cope without me...




The more I think about it though, the more I've realised I don't really know all that much about America. So I have decided to try, at least, to find out a bit about Oregon.



1. DUCKS AND BEAVERS

Apparently Oregon doesn't actually have an NFL team. They have two college-y teams called the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers. Not that this information helps me out much though. All I know about American Football I've taken from watching "The Blind Side". I'm praying Sandra Bullock will keep helping me out here...





Their university baseball team also carry the name of Duck. 


I start getting confused when I type "Salem baseball team" into Google. They claim they are the Red Sox. Are they the Red Sox? I see no organisational system so far!


So here's my plea - I would REALLY like to learn how all this works, so if any of my American readers are feeling particularly generous and feel like educating a pleb like me, then PLEASE DO!


2. BURN THE WITCH!





Salem is known for Witch Trials. Luckily, this I actually know something about! However, most of what I think I know is based on "The Crucible" by John Miller. I'm guessing that's closer to what happened than the movie "Hocus Pocus". That movie used to scare me silly when I was little. Now I actually recognise that it's Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker, and I can't really be afraid.


Now for the lightning round!


Oregon is the only state flag to have two designs on it.


It has more ghost towns than any state.


There are no self-service petrol stations.


Despite not really knowing what I've gotten myself into, I am really excited to be spending time in America. It's going to be really good fun and certainly something I won't forget. I just need to hope I don't miss my flight...


No comments:

Post a Comment